The Irish Brown Crab Fishery need to make improvements in how they are managed in order to meet the requirements of credible international sustainability standards. Many major seafood buyers look for these sustainability standards in order to stock crab products as they have committed to sustainability in their sourcing and practices.
Setting up a Fishery Improvement Project (FIP) is one way in which the market demands in relation to sustainability can be met:
- A FIP operates by means of a collaborative alliance of buyers, suppliers, and producers.
- Identify the challenges in a fishery, e.g., data deficiency, management issues
- Develop a plan, to be carried out over a number of years, to address the issues
- The stakeholders work together to improve a fishery over the life of the plan
Participants in the Irish Brown Crab Fisheries have initiated a FIP to:
- Protect the long term future of the crab stocks in our waters
- Keep access to discerning markets for our crab products
- Enable our fishermen to get best possible prices for the crab they land
Two pilots have been started, one in the North West and one in the South West of the Country.
These are National Projects and open to all fishermen and processors operating in our Brown Crab Industry but participants must agree to, and abide by, rules set out by the FIP group to achieve the goals of the FIP. These are set out as part of the Terms and Conditions you must accept once you click “register” to join the FIP. The terms and conditions will also be emailed to you. From time to time there will be updates to these as the plan develops and again these will be emailed to you and you will be asked to accept the changes the next time you login after the terms and conditions have been updated.
Registering for the FIP will allow you to access all information about the FIP, including minutes of previous meetings, information on upcoming meetings and a news section.
To register for the FIP please Register
If you would like more information about the FIP please use our contact page to get in touch
South Link Business Park,
Office: +353 21 245 5670
Phone: +353 87 2591376
Next Meeting of Crab FIP
The next meeting of the Irish Brown Crab Fishery Improvement Project will take place in the Citywest Hotel, Dublin from 10 to 12 on Wednesday the 26th June 2019. All members of the FIP are welcome to attend.